Just-A-Start Home Improvement Program (HIP) helps Cambridge residents and landlords preserve and stabilize homes. The goal is to assist homeowners who have been unable to obtain sufficient financing and provide them with technical and/or financial assistance to upgrade the structural soundness and appearance of their homes. This program works to stabilize the community and improve homes. In over 30 years Just-A-Start HIP has assisted with the improvement of more than 1,200 units of housing for low-and moderate income homeowners. Over $14,000,000 of home improvements have been invested to enhance and stabilize neighborhoods.
With JAS assistance, homeowners may be able to get a new roof, create handicapped accessibility and update building systems along with other renovations. HIP can assist homeowners in eliminating violations of the State Sanitary Code and upgrading structural soundness.
Just-A-Start provides home rehabilitation specialists who work with the homeowners. They:
- Inspect the property to identify the rehabilitation needed,
- Work with the homeowner to prioritize work needed,
- Develop the written work specifications for the homeowner/applicants approval,
- Prepare documents for construction bids,
- Complete a financial analysis for the applicant to determine affordability and eligibility for funds and loans,
- Assist with contractor selection by the owner,
- Assist with loan arrangements,
- Inspect construction work periodically, and
- Process payments for the contractors.
How to apply:
Contact Alan LaBella (alanlabella(at)justastart.org or 617-494-0444 x 314)